Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Improving the Inside

  Just in time for the cooler - and wetter - weather, my decorating interests have moved from the garden to the indoors.  I did some serious de-cluttering in my (adjoining) living and dining rooms and then painted them both; warm tan walls, white trim, and black - yes, black - doors and window sashes.   This plate that I'm now displaying reflects my latest approach to decorating - and life.

Written on the plate: To live content with small means, to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion.  To be worthy, not respectable, wealthy not rich, to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly.  To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages with open heart: to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.  In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.  This is to be my symphony.  Channing

 I'm trying to avoid purchasing anything whenever possible so I'm re-arranging and, as needed, getting creative.  I'm using vintage linens as curtains.  The center window curtain is a square table cloth and the side windows are just barely covered by very dainty hand towels.


  Some items I'm using again have been freed from previous banishment to the basement.  Others re-arranged and/or painted.  I've also added a couple of things that were special to my mom, like the fancy pettit point chair in the corner below.  I like what I've done so far; it's more comfortable and seems more spacious and, best of all - easier to clean!


  Yesterday,  I did a couple of little things with the kitchen, too.  Inspired by a friend's blog that featured her beloved bulletin board, I decided I needed a bulletin board, too.   Off to my basement again, I found a cabinet door with perforated metal insert given to me quite some time ago by another friend.  Cleaned up and hung on the wall, it fits perfectly in the spot next to the back door and a variety of magnets hold my "stuff" in place.  An odd set of keys hangs from what was the friction latch that held the cabinet door closed.


    Cleared of the magnets and items now filling the bulletin board, my 1934 monitor top refrigerator looks much happier and that corner has a fun new look!


  I'll miss reading in my garden this winter, but with the new look of my cozy interior, I'm sure I'll enjoy some quiet time inside, making plans for the spring, which may include having my re-decorated home on our Historic District's home tour again!




1 comment:

  1. Love it all! Especially loving the black trim.....who would have thought?
    I see such love in all the details! You inspire me to get busy. Big hug sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete